Creamy Avocado Pasta that You’ll Want for Dinner Every Night
Avocado makes this the creamy vegan pasta of your dinner dreams!
If ever you find yourself seeking out some inspiration in life, consider the avocado for a minute.
Now before you succumb to that slow double-blink, elevate your eyebrow, and I lose you completely, hear me out.
No other vegetable (or fruit, as the avocado actually is) has had such a surge in popularity as the dear old avo. It has effectively become the little green fruit that could.
Once upon a time, avocados were associated solely with nacho chips as they starred in the staple accompaniment that is guacamole, but then came the Avocado Evolution — the “Avolution”, if you will — and suddenly the green gems were the MVPs of toast toppings, sneaking their way into chocolate mousse, and even taking centre stage in a completely avo-centred restaurant in Amsterdam.
They also make a deliciously creamy vegan pasta sauce that is perfect for dinner any day of the week!
I have had friends say to me that one of the things they miss most when going vegan are those creamy pasta dishes. You know the ones; they are the ideal comfort food meal (one of mine anyway), but the recipes can be difficult to replicate when wanting to create a vegan version.
Enter the avocado!
Who needs cream when nature has gifted us a perfectly creamy (and tastier!) alternative?!
The key to making this pasta soar is getting hold of avos that are tender to the touch. It is tempting to push and prod, but applying gentle pressure to the fruit will give you a good indication as to whether it’s ready, set, saucable. What is even better is that this pasta is a fabulous way to use up those avocados that may be just a little past their best days, but are still full of flavour.
Whip up the sauce in a food processor (can it get easier?), pour it over your pasta, throw in some blanched peas or sliced cherry tomatoes, and embrace the Avolution!
Creamy Avocado Pasta
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 x packet of pasta (I used spaghetti, but go with your noodle!)
- 2 x avocados
- 1 x punnet of cherry tomatoes / garden peas (optional)
- 1 x lemon
- 1 x garlic clove
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of set aside pasta water
- Himalayan rock salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Boil your pasta until it is al dente and drizzle with a bit of olive oil to prevent it sticking together.
- Peel your avocados and chop into rough chunks before placing in a food processor with the garlic, olive oil, garlic, the pasta water (feel free to add more if you prefer a thinner sauce), lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the sauce into your pasta and add some boiled garden peas or chopped tomatoes, if you wish.
- Sprinkle with chilli flakes and freshly-grated lemon zest.