Serve a Bowl of Summer with this Watermelon and Vegan Feta Salad
How do you know when summer has arrived? According to my friend who lives in the UK, it never does; but for me, it’s when I begin spotting watermelon in the stores.
That bright pink flesh reminds me of long sunny days and warm nights when friends gathered for barbecues and someone would always end up being thrown into the pool. Most people’s natural instinct is that watermelon is sweet and should be confined to the breakfast or dessert category, but my favourite way to serve the glorious melon is in a salad. Put it down to my Mediterranean roots, but fewer things are as delicious as cubes of juicy watermelon that is offset by fresh mint, other bright greens, and salty feta cheese. Becoming vegan didn’t take away my craving for that particular salad, it just meant that I had to get a bit smarter with how I included the “feta” element.
Sure, the consistency of tofu isn’t an exact substitute for feta, but it’s pretty good. Preparing the vegan “feta” takes a little bit of time as it requires the spice mixture to marinade, but the taste is worth it (it gets better the longer it sits) and it stays fresh for a week, meaning you can use it in other recipes.
Pair the tofu with cucumber, red onion, mint, basil, and watermelon, and serve a bowl of summer!
Watermelon and Vegan “Feta” Salad
Time: 24 hours
- 200g of firm tofu
- 2 x garlic cloves
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon of dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon of dried basil
- ½ tablespoon of dried thyme
- ½ tablespoon of dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Wrap the feta in a paper towel and press slightly to remove any excess moisture.
- Cut the tofu into cubes.
- Place the herbs, spices, and garlic in a 500ml mason jar with two-thirds of the olive oil.
- Add the tofu cubes, close the lid, and shake well. Pour over the remaining olive oil.
- Let the tofu marinade for 24 hours in the fridge (near the top where it is not so cold.
- ½ x watermelon
- 1 x cucumber
- 1 x red onion
- 12 x mint leaves
- 12 x basil leaves
- 1 cup of vegan feta
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 x lime or lemon
- 1 teaspoon of vegan honey
- Cut the watermelon into cubes.
- Chop the cucumber, onion, mint, and basil.
- Combine with the vegan feta.
- Mix the olive oil, lime juice, vegan honey, salt, and pepper to make a dressing.